Day of Caring
Day of Caring is an annual event where people step outside of the office and into the community to make it a better place for everyone, particularly individuals in need. Day of Caring represents what United Way is really all about.
Day of Caring projects have included: cleaning, painting, landscaping, building, and floor installation at local non-profit agencies, child care centers, after-school youth program sites, and schools. Private residences were coordinated through Whitley County Council on Aging and Aged. Day of Caring has also included food drives for local food pantries and a diaper drive for BABE of Whitley County.
Mark your calendars: The 2018 Day of Caring is set for September 25th!
(photo of one of our most loyal Day of Caring teams, Scientific and Regulatory Consultants)
Day of Caring teams from 2017 and their projects. Thanks to all of you for your dedication and hard work !
- Midwest America FCU ~ Individual senior citizen projects.
- CCHS Key Club ~ Helping at Giving Gardens community gardens, prepping plant beds for winter.
- DeMoney – Grimes ~ Day of Caring Breakfast cleanup.
- Eberhard Lutheran Church ~ Clean common areas and wash windows at Clugston on the Square.
- 1st Source Bank ~ Clean up and work at Whitley Meadows apartments.
- Miller’s Merry Manor (2 teams) ~ Individual senior citizen projects.
- Orizon Real Estate and Team Rethlake ~ Cook and serve breakfast (pancakes and sausage) for Day of Caring volunteers.
- Parkview Whitley Hospital ~ Painting interior rooms at BABE of Whitley County.
- Scientific and Regulatory Consultants ~ Painting of the Goat Barn at Whitley County 4H park.
- One Community, Inc. and Fox Products ~ Painting and landscaping at South Whitley Little League Park and at several South Whitley parks.
- Northeastern REMC ~ Painting a 320 foot outdoor fence at Passages Creative Learning Center.
- Steel Dynamics, Inc. ~ Electrical work, computer technical support, landscaping, and general cleaning at The Center for Whitley County Youth.
- TROY Center (3 teams) ~ Tear down of bathrooms at Every Kids Dreamland, landscape cleanup for Columbia City Parks Department, and clean up of biking trails throughout Morsches Park.
- Precision Plastics ~ Landscape cleanup and painting a fence at The Impact Center food bank.
- Whitley County Community Foundation ~ Design renovation project in the community room at The Lighthouse Shelter. Collection of personal hygiene items for Passages, Inc.
- STAR Financial Bank ~ Assist with cleanup and yard work at the home of a senior citizen couple.
- STAR Insurance Agency ~ Landscape cleaning and washing windows at South Whitley Community Public Library and painting a room at Whitley County Chamber of Commerce & Visitor’s Center.
- Edward Jones ~ Painting bathrooms at Whitley County 4H park.
- Minear Real Estate ~ Painting at Whitley County Family YMCA.
- Warner Electric ~Multiple projects at Camp Whitley.
- Blue River Digital ~ Landscape clean up at Faith Christian Academy.
- ZimmerBiomet ~ Multiple projects at The Lighthouse Shelter. Also, sponsored a cook-out for residents at the shelter.
- Professional Federal Credit Union ~ Diaper Drive for BABE of Whitley County.
- The Bowen Center ~ Playground clean up and outside painting at Churubusco Community Childcare Center.
- 80/20 Inc. ~ Painting office at The Lighthouse Shelter and moving items from duplex garage out to the street for garbage pickup.
- J & K Communications ~ Painting the cat room at Whitley County Humane Shelter.
- Chase Bank ~ Multiple projects at Blue River Apartments.
- Passages, Inc. (2 teams) ~ Multiple projects for senior citizens throughout Whitley County
- CCHS National Honor Society ~ Painting, cleaning and landscape clean up at Whitley County Historical Museum.
- CCHS FCA ~ Painting locker rooms at CCHS.
- Whitley County 4H Youth Leadership ~ Multiple projects for senior citizens at Countryside mobile home park.
- Mary Raber 3rd Graders: Mrs. Ziliak’s classroom ~ Picking up trash along the Blue River Trail and through Morsches Park.
For photos of Day of Caring teams, visit our FACEBOOK page by clicking here.
While you are there, “LIKE” our Facebook page to keep up with United Way of Whitley County and all of this year’s events.